Can running with those experiencing homelessness really change your life? Come find out.
Back on My Feet recruits members at homeless and residential facilities across the country and begins with a member's commitment to run three days a week in the early morning. After 30 days in the program, members with 90% attendance earn the opportunity to move into the second phase of the program called Next Steps, which provides education, employment and housing opportunities.
Our members don’t accomplish this regimen alone. They do it alongside the support of volunteer runners like you.
What’s the Commitment? Volunteers meet in the early morning at one of our locations and run between one and five miles with our members. Back on My Feet sees different physical abilities among members so we encourage all runners, joggers and walkers to become a part of our growing community. We run every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but the desired volunteer commitment is once a week. If you fall in love with the team (which, we think you will) then join us as often as you'd like.
Can I Help Lead a Team? Of course! Each team has a "core" group of volunteers, people who take on additional responsibilities to help Back on My Feet staff make sure the team is fully functional and organized. Let our program staff know if you are interested in assuming one of these roles.
Do I Need to Do Anything Before Coming Out? Everyone interested in volunteering with Back on My Feet is asked to attend a short orientation. At orientation, we talk about our program and mission, discuss issues surrounding homelessness, elaborate on the role of our volunteers and answer questions. We will equip you with all the information needed to get started with a Back on My Feet team, and by the time we finish, you'll be ready (and eager) to get running!
Where Are the Runs?
All our group runs meet every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. New members and volunteers are always welcome!
- Team Hope – @ 5:45 am outside of 8 Farnham Street, Boston
- Team Common Ground/Vets – @ 5:45 am near the Park Street MBTA Station at Park / Tremont Streets, Boston
- Team Quincy – @ 5:45 am outside of 38 Broad Street, Quincy
- Team Rosie's Place – @ 6:30 am outside of 889 Harrison Avenue, Boston (Women Only)
- Team McInnis – @ 6:30 am outside of 780 Albany Street, Boston
- *NEW* Evening Run – Mondays only, 6pm outside of 8 Farnham Street, Boston
* You must register below to attend orientation